The Bröhan-Museum specializes in Art Nouveau, Art Deco and Functionalism
(1889-1939) of international provenance. The collection has two
areas of primary interest: decorative arts and painting.
The art objects are arranged in room ensembles for presentation.
These ensembles aim at giving a representative synopsis of the period
from Art Nouveau – as a precursor of modern design – up to Art Deco
and Functionalism by way of chosen pieces of glass, ceramics, porcelain,
silver and metal work in combination with furniture, carpets and
lighting as well as prints and painting.
The collection illustrates the equal value of each area of artistic
Art Nouveau, Art Deco, Functionalism
It gives priority to works of French and Belgian as well as of German
and Scandinavian Art Nouveau besides ensembles of French Art Deco.
The Bröhan-Museum houses an exceptionally rich collection of porcelain
from distinguished manufactures (KPM Berlin, Royal Copenhagen, Meissen,
Nymphenburg, Sèvres etc.) as well as pieces of metal and glass works
from the most important artists and designers of the time including
early industrial design.
The spectre includes prominent examples from the work of the following
artists and producers: Precious glass by Emille Gallé and Joh. Loetz
Wwe, furniture by Eugène Gaillard, Hector Guimard, Louis Majorelle,
Bruno Paul, Richard Riemerschmid, Peter Behrens, Joseph Maria Olbrich,
examples of Art Deco in the metal works of Edgar Brandt, furniture
ensembles by Jaques-Emile Ruhlmann, silver by jean Puiforcat, Paris,
and Georg Jensen, Copenhagen, as well as Art Nouveau fayence from
the Bohemian Amphora works.
On the 3d floor a cabinet is dedicated to the Belgian Art Nouveau
artist Henry van de Velde and another to the Vienna Secession artist
Important designers of serial production of the period 1889-1939
are represented with exemplary works: Friedrich Adler, Albin Müller,
Peter Behrens, Christopher Dresser, Jan Eisenloeffel, Hermann Gretsch,
Archibald Knox, Trude Petri, Wilhelm Wagenfeld.
The picture collection of the Bröhan museum places particular emphasis
on the Berlin Secession. Important collections of paintings by Hans
Baluschek, Karl Hagemeister and Willy Jaeckel are complemented by
works of Walter Leistikow, Franz Skarbina, Lesser Ury and others.
An extensive collection of works by the painter Jean Lambert-Rucki,
who was influenced by the cubists, complements the French Art-Deco
Karl H. Bröhan
The Bröhan-Museum bears the name of its founder, Karl H. Bröhan,
who donated his private collection to the city of Berlin on occasion
of his 60th birthday. From 1966 onwards, he continuously built up
his collection and made it public in a villa in Dahlem since 1973.
On October 14th, 1983, the collection moved to its present site,
a late classicistic barracks within the Charlottenburg palace ensemble.
1994, the Bröhan-Museum became a state museum. Due to the international
significance of its collection, the Bröhan-Museum takes an important
place within the Berlin museum landscape as well as beyond the national
2008 Bröhan-Museum | Agathon Léonard,
Danseuse au bracelet, c. 1900, Susse Frères, Paris | Webdesign unicom-berlin.de